Three Delicious Varieties for Homemade Vegan Whipped Cream

By

Homemade vegan whipped cream is so easy. No need to purchase processed food filled with fooling chemical flavors! Take your pick of my favorite recipes!

whipcreamfruit
Store-bought whipped creams, vegan, dairy or otherwise, are one of the worse offenders in the convenience foods category. Most of us purchase it as an after-thought for a specially-crafted dessert, but one look at the label uncovers a toxic soup of chemicals that doesn’t deserve to hold the cherry-on-top of beautiful, real food.

Check out the ingredients for Kraft Cool Whip: WATER, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SKIM MILK, LIGHT CREAM, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR)

Um, no thanks.

There are several ways to make your own whipped cream. Take your pick between three versions:

• quick and easy
  • old-fashioned
  • coconut-free

Quick and Easy Whipped Cream:
2 cans coconut milk (any size)
2-4 tbsp organic sugar
1/2 tsp agar agar powder or 1/4 tsp xantham gum (optional for thickness)

If you’ve opened a can of coconut milk, you’ve noticed there is a lot of separation. The cream rises to the top, and the water sits at the bottom.

If the cans have been undisturbed, it’s very easy to carefully pull the cream out with a spoon. Save the leftover water for a smoothie or drink it! Place the cream in a small bowl and add sugar to taste. Whisk. Serve chilled.

If the the cans have been shaken,  use all the liquid, and add a thickener such as tapioca flour, arrow root or even corn starch. Use 1 tbsp per cup of milk. For binding agents like agar powder, xantham/guar gum, use 1/2 teaspoon. Add sugar to taste. Blend well. Serve chilled.

Store for one week in refrigerator, or freeze 3-6 months.

coconutmilk

Whipped Cream

Old-fashioned Homemade Whipped Cream:
2 cups raw, unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup water
1/2 tsp agar agar powder, xantham or guar gum (optional for thickness)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
2-4 tbsp sugar
2 cups ice (the equivalent of about 1 cup water)

You will need a high powered blender or food processor for this. My Vitamix makes this very easy.

Remove the shell and harvest the fruit of one coconut. Or purchase unsweetened, raw coconut. Put only the coconut into the processor. Begin at a low speed and increase to high. It will get “dusty” at first, and look like fake snowflakes. But it will get creamy. This may take 10 minutes or more. It will also get very hot. This is normal.

Once it’s creamy, add all of the ingredients except the ice. Puree until it’s no longer “gritty”–in my Vitamix, it’s another 10 minutes. Once the cream seems as good as it’s going to get, add the ice, and blend just long enough to achieve desired consistency.

Store for one week in refrigerator, or freeze 3-6 months.

whippedcream

Coconut Free Version:

Every now and then, I meet an individual who’s not fond of coconut. And though I LOVE my coconut versions of whipped cream, the coconut flavor is undeniable. This recipe is perfect if you are looking for a subtle and soft flavor.

1/2 cup plant milk of choice (soy, almond, hemp, oat, rice)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (can skip if using vanilla flavored milk)
1/2 tsp agar agar powder or 1/4 tsp xantham gum (optional for thickness)
ice (optional)

Place all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor. If using a vitamix, start on low variable speed and increase to high. Blend until desired consistency is reached. If serving immediately, add a few ice cubes at the end to counteract heat. Serve chilled.

Store for one week in refrigerator, or freeze 3-6 months.

You might also like:

Comments (18)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Tanya says:

Goodmorning, I was admiring your website. I love your food recipes. I am vegan and vegetarian(gluten free)I would love to have copies of your recipes. Could you please email me some of your recipes. I am looking for a good vegan vegetarian recipe for black bean brownies. I am hoping that you will have a recipe for black bean brownies that is healty and delicious.

2. June Taylor says:

Greetings: Just wondering why you use oil in the non-coconut whipped cream recipe? I would think the texture and taste would be greasy and not hold up as well as if you used just, thick almond cream (almond milk soaked and through nut bag) with enough agar agar, vanilla, raw cane sugar… does the oil hold up the stiffness/texture after refrigeration or stablize it for fullness/thickness… also, I am thinking firm silken tofu added my above ingredients?… appreciate your thoughts on this… :)

• Colleen says:

I am so sorry that I missed your comment. I’ve been moving and literally dropping balls everywhere! I don’t think that the oil is necessary at all, and I love your idea for using tofu instead. I rarely follow an actual recipe, preferring to work with what I have on hand and just tinker with it until I get it right. I just made whipped cream out of tofu a few days ago! It turned out great. The longer you want to refrigerate, the more important finding the perfect recipe will be. If you don’t add emulsifiers, it will naturally separate. But usually, you can whisk it back into shape. Let me know if you find the magic combo!

3. June Taylor says:

correction: stabilize

4. Dawn says:

I made the coconut free version using soy milk, and initially chose to add agar for thickening. It was prepared in a Vitamix per instructions, but the raw agar didn’t seem to a lot for thickening so I added the xanthan gum. That thickened well, but did not whip up to the volume I was hoping for. Real cream whips up to about double it’s volume, but this recipe did not whip up much more than its original volume. It was pretty tasty, but I couldn’t bring myself to use it as a whipped topping. A nice dallop of this denser stuff would have been just too hideously rich in oil. Not to let anything go to waste, I used half of the stuff in place of oil in the cake I was baking (topping was originally going to accompany cake). I had not added any vanilla to the topping so to the other half I added some vinegar and salt to taste and ended up with very nice vegan mayonnaise. It’s my new go-to recipe now for vegan mayo!

• Colleen says:

I have never made real whipped cream, so I appreciate your perspective. I also LOVE your mayo recipe and will be trying this out immediately. Thank you so much for the feedback!

5. Courtney says:

I am curious if the quick and easy version is suitable for frosting a cake? Is it thick enough to act as a frosting/icing? Does it separate or sweat over time? I’ve been looking for a vegan frosting recipe online, but all the ones I have found so far have had bad reviews.

Thanks!

6. Nate Adams says:

Agar agar gelling and thickening properties are only activated when heated…

7. Omfg, thanks very much for posting this! It is gonna be so helpful when I get Coconut Milk at the store! Very Fabulous!

8. An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a co-worker who has been conducting
    a little research on this. And he in fact ordered me lunch simply
    because I found it for him… lol. So let me reword this….

Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending some time to discuss this subject
    here on your site.

9. steve bogdanoff says:

I was referring to the coconut-free version.